I am currently working on migrating all my ESXi host from 5.5 to 6. I need Power Path to be installed on all these host. The easiest way to do this is to add the Power Path VIB directly into the ISO. I knew this could be done, but was not sure how to. I tried searching for an easy way to do this, but could not find any simple guides. Here is the quick and simple way to add a VIB to and ESXi ISO.
First you should have downloaded your ESXi ISO. I downloaded the Dell Custom ESXi offline bundle zip. It already contains all the Dell drivers I need and the Dell Open Manage software to help me monitor the hardware. You need the ZIP and not the ISO to create this image. “Still working on the images. Click to enlarge them.”
- First add the Dell ESXi zip. Add-EsxSoftwareDepot “C:\file location”
- Add the PowerPath zip Add-EsxSoftwareDepot “C:\file location”
- Clone the Dell image this has to be done because it is already an customized image. (Not sure about the Acceptance Level. Anyone have any insight on this?) New-EsxImageProfile -CloneProfile Dell-ESXi-6.0.0-2494585-A00 -Name dellesx6withpp -AcceptanceLevel PartnerSupported
- Now its time to add the VIB. This will show all the packages from EMC Get-esxSoftwarePackage | Where-Object Vender -eq “EMC”
- Now add the software package to the Image Profile. You need all 3 packages. Add-ESxSoftwarePackage
- Now you can export the image profile to a ISO Export-EsxImageProfile -ImageProfile dellesx6withpp -ExportToIso -FilePath ‘C:\ESX 6 Custom Image\dellesx6withpp.iso’